Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Turkish Taste at the Court of Marie Antionette : The Frick Collection

I recently had the pleasure of returning to one of my favorite NYC museums, The Frick Collection for a special new exhibit: Turkish Taste at the Court of Marie Antoinette.
The Frick Collection is really a rococo lovers paradise. The Boucher room and The Fragonard room are worth a visit all their own.

The small "cabinet" room which is normally closed is where the Turkish Taste exhibit was held.
The exhibit consisted of two console tables, two oil on wood painted panels and two camel shaped fire-dogs. Here are Pictures
Here are a few detail shots of some of the artwork...

This trip was really inspirational so I decided to research more on the mode of Turkish taste in Europe during the eighteenth century. There had been a huge infusion of Turkish inspired designs for everything from boudoirs to pocket watches. I also found many interesting paintings of Turkish inspired fashions hairstyles and headdresses. Here are my inspirations...
Before leaving the museum I had to stop into the gift shop where I always like to pick something up before leaving. This time I bought a Riesener themed pencil case with twelve colored pencils. The Riesener detail shown on the cover comes from a commode he designed which was purchased by Henry Clay Frick in 1918. One year before he died. Riesener was coincidentally also the official cabinet maker to Marie Antoinette and the French court of Louis XVI.






No comments:

Post a Comment