Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Artwork Retrospective



For this post I wanted to share photos of my drawings of my spring 2011 semester of foundation. The course was Drawing II Ideation & Imagination. Here are the drawings in the order the assignments were given...


Create an image using only I's and O's.

This first assignment was about choosing a theme that we had inhabitions about. I chose androgony because of inner reflections about embracing both feminine and masculine sides of my personality.

ANDROGONY

For the second project we had to choose an organic and a non organic object to combine in a surreal way. I chose an issue of Vogue and the cosmos.

Organic and Non-Organic

In this next project we had to either choose between a sewing machine and a grandfather clock. Carol our teacher always told us to find the nature of an object and to understand the nature of the objects. She would often say "What does it want?" I had to choose the sewing machine because of the relationship I've had with the sewing machine.

Sewing Machine

Our Next assignment was a self portrait...

Self Portrait


The second to last assignment was the "Displaced Monument" which is pretty self explanatory. For my monument I went to something I've had a fascination with for a long time, Versailles. For a location I chose a mythical place in China because I've always marveled at the epic landscape paintings of China. The ones you might see at the Chinese take out restaurant.

Versailles in China


Of all the artwork I' did during my foundation year (last year) here at Parsons School of Design this video entitled FLIGHT has been my favorite to produce and somewhat embarressing to watch. I really have to thank Carol for allowing us to chose any medium of our liking for some projects. She is one of the best teachers I've ever crossed paths with. Carol was so much more than just an art teacher she was an inspiration. In our final project for the year we had to address flight and the elements within which it exists. Thrust Lift Weight and Drag. Inspired by one of my favorite artists Matthew Barney I decided I wanted to try my hand at Video Art and this was my outcome...


Carol has a way of bringing out your inner artist and taking her course was the greatest thing I've done here at Parsons thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment