Wednesday, October 19, 2011

NYC Ball Scene Pt.2


So last week I talked about what the balls were and what goes on at the balls. For this post I wanted to share a few of my favorite personalities and also share what the scene was for me.

To start I want to talk about my love of the old ballroom scene. I never got to experience the old ball scene you see in Paris is burning because I was a baby when it was filmed and when I did come around to the scene most of the personalities you see in the movie were rarely seen at the balls and by now most have passed away. These Personalities were my introduction to ball walkers and some of my favorite ball personalities of all time namely Willi Ninja, Pepper la Beija, Carmen Xtrava and Octavia St. Laurent. This was the case with a lot of kids coming up in the nineties whose first glimpse of the scene was that doc. When I first got into the scene I thought it would be like the paris is burning ball but I was in for something completely evolved. The nineties gave way to a whole new breed of boys and girls who weren't around for Jennie Livingston's filming in the late 80's AND the scene had completely changed. It was huge there were so many new houses like Latex Revlon Mizrahi Karan and Evisu. The categories were intense and very competative. It was spectacular to see. The first ball I ever went to was Latex Ball in 2003 at the Roseland Ballroom with my friend who was in the house of Revlon and set to walk butch queen up in drags but "missed" her category when it was called  I knew she was really just scared and i didn't blame her because like junior la beija said "It do take nerve"

Here's a video of the Latex Ball 2003 the first 30 sec is of my favorite voguers Leyomi Mizrahi when she was the new girl on the block


This vids of Leyomi's greatest moments which have gave her, her Legendary status in the ball scene.



This is Javier Ninja my favorite at hands performance



Giselle Xtravaganza is my favorite Femme Queen Face and Runway




No comments:

Post a Comment