Friday, December 9, 2011

18th Century New York

Of all the historical era's my favorite by far is the 18th Century. Touted as the age of enlightenment it was also an age of extravagance. Lately I've been watching a lot of movies from my period film collection because I all I have in my workroom to keep entertained is my old Mac from high school. While watching Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci.

 I was really drawn in by the recreation images of New York City during the 18th century. So being that we have to stick to ideas about the body or New York for our blogs, I thought it would be an interesting way to merge my love of all thing 18th century with my love of my favorite city in the U.S. Here are some images from the movie recreating NYC.
It's a good film thats definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Taking a more factual look at 18th century New York I found these etchings. The first is of Federal Hall at Wall Street from 1789.
Here are two other views. This Federal Hall must have been an important building in NYC during the 18th century because it is one of the most easily found images of 18th century NY.
The next images were the most interesting to me. The first is of a theatre and the second are actual garments 18th Century New Yorkers wore.

I really enjoyed searching for images of 18th century NY. In the future I would love to design an 18th century inspired collection.








1 comment: