Monday, December 19, 2011

The Body Grotesque: My Final IDS Project

I thought it would be appropriate to post a few pix from my final IDS 2D collection presentation. The collection objective was a narrative, to create a story. I started with the concept of Frankenstein.

My story grew into a tale of a mad designer who digs up and sews together the corpses of Mary Shelly, author of Frankenstein and Rose Bertin, couturier to Marie Antoinette. He brings the creature to life and flee's, returning to the world of high fashion leaving his creation in a run down atelier to fend for herself. Instinctively the creature begins to create. Infusing aspects of Mary Shelley's romanticism and horror with the grandeur and elegance of Rose Bertin she creates a paradox of a collection. When the creature who's been cast away from society because of her monstrous appearance discovers her creator, she terminates him and then herself leaving behind only her creations in the run down atelier. When the story breaks of the murdered haute couture designer an investigation ensues and the narrative comes to light shocking not only the fashion world but the world of science and media as well. The fascination leads to exhibition and makes the history.

Long story, I know, it just grew on it's own. Aside from other concepts, my narrative led me to ideas of the body and silhouette. Because Frankenstein was made up of various stitched up corpses and animal parts, it was fitting to address freakish and grotesque body silhouettes. I wanted to do this but with the added elegance and materials Rose Bertin would bring, here was the outcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment