Monday, December 19, 2011

Creepy Christmas NYC 2011

Looking around at department store windows this holiday season, there seems to be a creepy slightly dark inspiration going around.

Growing up on Long Island I remember every few years during the holiday season my parents would take my sister and myself into Manhattan to experience the city in all it's holiday splendor (this was most common the years family was visiting from Chile.)  The Rockefeller Christmas tree among others were usual stops on our itinerary but my favorite was always the holiday windows. Window displays were always a huge deal to me any time of year but especially during the holidays.

So here are a few pix from this years holiday windows that I would say embodied a slightly creepy vibe. You look and decide for yourselves. 

The Macy's holiday windows below reminded me of Edward Scissor Hands shaving ice sculptures creating snow and the factory scene with all the gears and gizmo's. 


The next picture is of the Bergdorf Goodman holiday windows. Black and White is an unconventional choice for holiday decoration. This window reminded me of that creepy feeling I get when I walk through the dim taxidermy exhibitions at the Museum of Natural History. I love that feeling and love this window although I'm not too sure little kids could appreciate it.


This last window is one of the most interesting, it's Barney's Lady Gaga window. The entire display is or appears to be made of hair! ranging from golden to platinum blond you can find them all here. Again, I love the concept but not too sure it says "Happy Holidays" 


Aside from these windows, of course there were plenty that screamed holiday cheer but it was these that made me wonder about our society and department stores today.


No comments:

Post a Comment